Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Diverge

{Lake Mendota via}

On my way home from my softball game last night, I was about 2 blocks away from home when this song came on. Now, I'm not particularly a huge fan of this band, but just a few familiar tunes brings on a flood of memories. Two summers ago my aunt invited me to a Goo Goo Dolls concert. She and the rest of her nurse buddies enjoy their songs and bought some tickets to see them at Northerly Island. I had nothing to do, and I love hanging out with my aunt, uncle and cousins, so I gladly accepted. 

I'll never forget how my Uncle Skip kept checking to see if I wanted something to eat or drink. Whenever I tried to give him money, he would just wave his hand and say, "Don't even think about it."

I really miss my uncle. July will mark a year since his passing. He was such a friendly, big-hearted guy. The best of the best. 

So, when I heard "Slide" come on the radio, I diverged from my planned path and instead headed to the lake. I circled that lake two times with my car windows down.  It felt good to just "be."

{Sarah, Sean, Aunt Maureen, Colleen, me, Uncle Skip at the concert}

1 comment:

  1. This was a lovely post KQB! Your uncle skip was a great guy. I will definietly be thinking of you and your family this summer!

    Love,love,love
    Bridge

    ReplyDelete