Wednesday, July 28, 2010

To Kill A Mockingbird

To Kill A Mockingbird turned 50 this month. July eleventh to be exact. The book is one of my favorites. The kind of book that makes me yearn for a simpler time. I just wanna sit on that porch all day long and watch folks pass me by. In retrospect, had I been born with any acting talent I think I would have made a darn good Scout. She is just a more extreme version of my childhood self. Plus, the haircut is almost dead on.

Here are my favorite quotes from the book:

“Talking to Francis gave me the sensation of settling slowly to the bottom of the ocean.” pg. 92

“Atticus picked up The Mobile Press and sat down in the rocking chair Jem had vacated. For the life of me, I did not understand how he could sit there in cold blood and read a newspaper when his only son stood an excellent chance of being murdered with a Confederate Army relic. Of course Jem antagonized me sometimes until I could kill him, but when it came down to it he was all I had. Atticus did not seem to realize this, or if he did he didn’t care.” pg. 119

“Jee crawling hova, Jem! Who do you think you are?” pg. 157


2 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD!
    this is such a good book i love it!!!!


    p.s. your comment made me smile. i love learning interesting facts about things!! thanks!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog post while doing a search on photos for To Kill a Mockingbird.

    After 40 years, I'm re-reading the book.

    Wonderful, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete