Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A beautiful life was lived.

My Aunt Sharon led a life of compassion. 
A mother, wife, sister, aunt, grandmother, friend, teacher. 
She passed away on Monday after battling cancer for several months. Without a doubt, she went straight to heaven.
I have countless letters from my aunt. Letters just checking in to say hi. Letters remembering my birthday. Letters remembering a special event in my life. 
The last email I have from her is one of my favorites. It was sent in March before she was diagnosed. She wrote to me and my brother Kevin simply saying... 

Hi Kevin and Kathleen, 
Just wanted you to know I've been thinking about you, and hope all is going well in Minnesota and Boston. Look forward to seeing you soon. 
Love, Sharon

I remember my aunt taking me to garage sales in Long Beach, Indiana. Numerous garage sales. And I mean numerous.
I remember her taking me to Dairy Queen once when it was storming outside. 
I remember her saying she was so proud of me when I received the honor of crowning Mary in 8th grade. She told me, "I always wanted to do it, but some other brat got it instead.
Can't remember her name, but, I wasn't too fond."
I remember her making me sandwiches at her kitchen counter while I sat at the table and read one of my American Girl Doll books out loud to her.
I remember she was the first one to hug me when my grandpa passed away. No words, just a long embrace. 
I remember her and my uncle Jim visiting me in Madison for a football weekend. Waiting on the terrace, popcorn in hand.
I remember her at my surprise 21st birthday party at Benihana. 

I remember a lot. Mainly how she made me feel loved. 
Rest in Peace, Aunt Sharon.
Aunt Sharon (far right) and the rest of the gang.
Aunt Sharon and my uncles.... Uncle Pat's comb over is outrageous. 
Looks like it was a fun day. Pasty Irish skin all around! 
The Sullivan clan
Aunt Sharon in the yellow protectively holding on to my Aunt Maureen
 Aunt Maureen, me, Aunt Sharon on my 21st
 The Sullivan gals visiting me in Madison
The whole group!

I sent this song to my Aunt Sharon once because the lyrics reminded me of our grandpa and a particular tree that he loved. When she responded to the email, she wrote, 
"This is beautiful."
To Build a Home
There is a house built out of stone
Wooden floors, walls and window sills
Tables and chairs worn by all of the dust
This is a place where I don't feel alone
This is a place where I feel at home

'Cause, I built a home
For you
For me

Until it disappeared
From me
From you

And now, it's time to leave and turn to dust

Out in the garden where we planted the seeds
There is a tree as old as me
Branches were sewn by the color of green
Ground had arose and passed it's knees

By the cracks of the skin I climbed to the top
I climbed the tree to see the world
When the gusts came around to blow me down
I held on as tightly as you held onto me
I held on as tightly as you held onto me

'Cause, I built a home
For you
For me

Until it disappeared
From me
From you

And now, it's time to leave and turn to dust

1 comment:

  1. This was a beautiful post KQB. Your Aunt Sharon was an amazing women. We are all thinking of you and your family today. Lots of love cousin!

    ReplyDelete